Sunday 25 March 2012

Slash Neck Top {finished}

The finished result of my Slash Neck Top project ~
 I began knitting it from a pattern I had been handed down, in amongst a bunch of second hand knitting needles, a few years back.  It had been typed up (on a typewriter!) and had no photo or picture to show what the top looked like.  So I decided to find out.
 I used second hand wool I had from my generous stash...
 The pattern calls for 2 x 100g ball of DK; I didn't have a whole 200g in the same colour, so opted for this 100g ball of sky blue acrylic yarn and this not-quite-a-full-ball of 100g mid-blue.
 The only amendments I made to the original project was to down-size my knitting needles; as I always need to do this to achieve the correct tension square for projects.  Although no tension measurements were given in the pattern, I decided it would be wise.  I also kept track of how many rows it took to knit the 2" rib, so it would match perfectly for the front and back.
 I knitted the back half of the top solidly in the light blue yarn; for the front, I had to mix both the shades in to make them last.
  So for the front, the rib was knitted in the light blue and then I joined in the mid-blue for the bulk of the stitch pattern.
 When it came to the sleeves; the pattern calls for extra stitches to be cast on and these knit in moss stitch.  I used a stitch marker to keep track of where the pattern changes.
 For the front; I cast on these extra stitches in the light blue, as the mid blue was running out...
 The darker shade lasted for a few more rows; then I completed the rest of the top in the main light blue colour.  It actually worked out really well in relation to where the colour change sits on the top and also in terms of the effect it creates.  The change in colour picks out the wave effect created from the lace pattern.  Perfect.
And it's a perfect fit, too.

No comments: