Tuesday 8 May 2012

mohair pullover

I went back to my family home a few months back and one of my favourite things to do, is rummage through the shambles of my old bedroom (I left it in such a mess!), find old projects & remind myself of the substantial wool stash still there.  I found this half-finished project, from maybe three years ago.  I'd done it all - the knitting, the side seams, everything except sewing up the shoulder seams.  I have to idea what stopped me (read: distracted me) but I brought it back to my London space and have finally sewn it up.  Now it just needs it debut wear (which I think will have to happen today).
I improvised this pattern and can't remember the details; but here is how I appear to have made it...

 There's a K2 P2 rib an inch high at the bottom edge to help give some shape.

 The front & back were knitted in two separate pieces, just plain stocking stitch [I was letting the yarn do the talking with this one] then sewn together down the sides.
However, around halfway up the front piece I knitted a row of purl stitches, which gives the impression of a seam - I'm not too sure if this was purposeful, but I like the appearance of structure it creates.

The shoulder seam is only a few inches wide, allowing the sleeves to hang naturally.

I'm really happy with the volumous shape that the knitting creates - the front has more fabric then the back piece does, which presensts itself as a cowl style neck.  The pullover measures roughly 19" long and 22" wide.  The best thing is, I also found a fair amount of this yarn left, so there's room for some matching items too...

No comments: