Monday 27 February 2012

Fairtrade Fortnight + Vivienne Westwood Appreciation

Fairtrade fortnight has started today!

One of the cutest shops I've found was a few years ago in Harrogate... A little fairtrade shop being run by a darling elderly lady in the archway of an old church.  The curved, rustic walls were climbing with handmade jewellery, finger puppets, bags and all sorts.  I'm still so in love with this hand crafted bangle I got myself:


Another fave 'ethical buy' of mine is this t-shirt dress I got last year from People Tree.  Fairtrade, organic cotton and very, very cool...
 It was exclusively designed by Vivienne Westwood -
with some of her wise words on it to boot:
On the subject of the great Dame herself; this artical on her in last week's Metro (20th Feb) put a smile on my face:
 'We are so conformist, nobody is thinking.  We are all sucking up stuff, we have been trained to be consumers and we are all consuming far too much.'
Couldn't agree more with her!
Maybe buying a few less 'unnecessaries' and spending a smidge of that extra money on fairtrade products could make such a difference. 
We're talking food & clothes here - who doesn't like buying either of those?
It's all about consumer power!
How about buying some 'moral coffee' (as a good friend of mine likes to call it...), get some fairtrade bananas in the fruit bowl, go treat yourself to a nice big bar of chocolate (made from tasty fairtrade cocoa) and have a little clicky on the link I've posted below.

Without wanting to like I'm getting into a rant I shall end here and go make myself a nice cup of afternoon tea.  Fairtrade tea - of course...

No comments: