Sunday 27 November 2011

Serpentine Socks


I have finally gotten round to knitting up a pattern from Wendy D. Johnson's book, Socks From The Toe Up, which I purchase months ago and have been eager to knit every pair in it since!
The first pattern I opted for were the Serpentine Socks.  Partly because I wanted a new pair of chunky, cable-effect winter warmers for my toes and partly because they were in the 'Sportweight' section of the book, which means due to the denser (sportweight) yarn used in these patterns, they are quicker to knit than most.
I am truely converted to knitting socks from the toe-up. I just love the smooth, professional finish this technique creates.  As a knitter and sock-wearer, it's just so satisfying...
I finished the socks off with a contrasting pink rib as I 'forgot' (read: was too lazy) to measure my yarn out into two even balls before I started knitting.  (Then you have a ball for each foot and can knit them an even length etc). 
Another joy of knitting from the toe-up! Gone are my days of completing the second sock with an odd coloured toe to the rest of the pair...  On approaching the end of my first sock, I was a little concerned I wouldn't have enough to finish both off with a green rib. 
As it turned out, I have plenty of yarn left over.  Still; I prefer them this way.

No comments: