Friday 15 February 2008

Recycling Project - Year Two

Here is a sample of products resulting from my first recycling-based project, completed during my second year of study.


I worked with strips of used Sainsburys carrier bags, which I crocheted and knitted with in order to produce a range of wearable and sustainable accessories. I also experimented with applying heat to my work to achieve varied textures and appearances.


Necklaces ~


Crocheted circles, attatched to chain stitch, untreated.One of my first heat-treated results, used here as a singular pendant.Chain necklace, made with 3-D knitted peices, as opposed to the previous flattened circles. Again, heat was used to create the various components. Rings & Corsages ~


Heat treated crochet work, mounted on a metal ring base.

Bisto broach; crochet circle mounted in a recycled bisto lid!Singular corsage, semi-heated, on elasticated band Multi-corsaged bracelet, connected via chain stitched plastic.Belts & Bags ~


Plastic buckle detail, with black elasticated band and popper stud fastening. Knitted plastic belt, with black plastic buckle fastening. I also experimented with using the plastic strips on a larger gauge knitting machines, the results of which I used to create a range of bags; an example of which I have included below. This image is taken of a clutch bag, with crochet circle and popper stud fastening detail.
A year on and all of the products are still lasting strong! A far more resourceful and attractive use of plastic bags then throwing them away and allowing our landscape to become littered!

No comments: