Friday 2 November 2012

Kilomathon London 2012

So, I did it - I ran the London Kilomathon. 
 
26.2k (16.3m) in 2 hours 38 mins 9 secs. 

I was in full on training mode earlier in the summer - by far the best shape I have ever been in.  My goal was to run the course in 2:40.  Then life got in the way of running a little bit and I could feel my muscles slacking off. 

As the days counted down I became increasingly terrified (mixed with waves of excitement, I will admit) and guessed at a more realistic 3 hours for completion of the looming 'ordeal'. 

So, when I actually got past the halfway mark of 12k and hadn't stopped running, I was a little shocked by the acheivement, followed by pain, followed by stubbornness. 

After 20k, my left calf muscle left twisted and my right knee was in agony.  Energy was low and the pack of fellow runners had thinned, which meant that motivation was beginning to deplete. 
Then the stitch kicked in.  Hard.

I think I slowed to a walking pace on two occasions for the last 4k - my guess is that the time I spent doing so was 2-3 minutes.  My priority was that I completed the course without stopping.

Also the realisation that I could do it within my original target of 2:40 really spurred me on. 

When I made it over the finish line it was a hard task not to cry my eyes out; I felt so overwhelmed.

Even now I don't think it has even sunk in that I made it and that I didn't stop once.

I couldn't have done it without the encouragement and experienced advice of my amazing friend Helena, who also went to the effort of not only meeting me at the finish line, but meeting me with flowers, hobnobs and the best medal ever.  The other runners were so jealous.  A massive thankyou to her & everyone else who supported me.

I have been rasing sponsor money from this for Canine Partners - an amazing charity which trains guide dogs for disabled people, they do incredible work.  (My sponsorship page is accepting donations until the end of January 2012).




The Kilomathon is not a fun run but an endurance event.  The London one of 2012 took place Sunday 28th October, in Lee Valley Park.  The beautiful setting certainly helped get me through.

No comments: