Tuesday 5 July 2011

Knitted Bikini

I recently had the dilema of what to make for a friend who is off to Australia for a year. It's got to be handmade, obviously and preferably knitted (to remind her of me!), yet remain practical for her adventure...

The answer, of course, was a knitted bikini:
I found a free pattern called the BVI Bikini on Ravelry.

I followed it true to word, until it came to adding the straps (I'm still getting used to crochet patterns; so sometimes it's easier to freestyle it still).
The ties were a row of chain stitch which I then worked dch (double chain stitch) into.
It was nice and quick to knit up, I think I'll have to make one for myself too.

 The best tip I picked up fron this pattern, is after the cups have been knitted, you should hand sew elastic around the edges of them.  This will make them stay in place and give them the hold that commerical bikinis made from synthetic fabrics have.

I'm happy to say that my friend absolutely loved it ("The best present ever!") and it fitted her perfectly!

Just a special something for those cooler, nightime beach parties perhaps?

All the best, Saz!
xxx

No comments: